Friday, August 29, 2008

Quiet Time

This morning, most of the students in my reading intervention class took the CELDT test. For those of you not in the know, I have no idea what the acronym stands for (by the way, it is an acronym, not an abbreviation, because it is pronounced [sElt]), but it is a measure of how non-native English speakers are progressing in their English language development. Since fifteen of my nineteen students were taking the test, the ladies administering it suggested that it would be easier if they and the testees stayed in my classroom and I took the other four to the library.

It was so nice. I had two girls and two boys. We all sat at a big table in the back of the library. I had them bring their workbooks, and we completed and corrected two pages out of it. Then, I read a picture book to them. I had brought a box of word games to keep them occupied, but they opted to read instead. They picked out books and magazines and read quietly for the next hour. I didn't have a single behaviour issue. I just read the W volume of the World Book. I know a lot more than I did before about George Washington and the War of 1812.

No comments: