Friday, October 9, 2009

Classics Review, Part Two

I just finished Jane Austen's Mansfield Park. Even Ms. Austen said that it is not as interesting as Pride and Prejudice, and I agree. I did, however, enjoy reading it. It is a love story with a large cast of characters. All of these characters have romantic interactions and love triangles. In fact it could be described as one big love septagon. Toward the end there is a major plot twist, and some characters have a happy ending.

I feel that this would be a more enjoyable book if the main character were more likeable. Fanny is a young lady who comes from a poor home, but is raised by her rich aunt and uncle. She is perfectly grateful and well-mannered. She is moral, reliable and smart enough. But she has none of the wit or human flaws of an Elizabeth Bennet.

So, if you loved Pride and Prejudice, read Mansfield Park. You'll probably enjoy it, but don't expect to be blown away. If you didn't like P&P, you won't like this book. If you haven't read P&P, go read that!

I'm not sure which Classic novel to read next. If there are any that you recommend, or if there's something you've been interested in, but want me to find out if it's any good first, comment or email me your suggestions.

1 comment:

The Caffeinated Librarian said...

Great review! Thanks for the comment on my 20sb page.

I also recently posted a review on Mansfield Park on my blog at http://morningcupwithmeg.blogspot.com/2009/10/book-review-mansfield-park.html. Check it out and let me know what you think! Take care!