Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Day 1 is Done

Well, I have made it through the first day of the new school year. The last three days have been super hectic and stressful. On Monday, we had an all day in-service. Yesterday, I had about four meetings that lasted from 8am to 3pm, and then I had to finish getting ready to start teaching today. At 6pm last night I had to leave the school because they were locking the gates, even though I still had about ten things left to do. I came home and typed and printed some things, then went to bed early.

This morning I woke up at 5:45am. The only times I can remember waking up that early were when I was going skiing. This wasn't as fun. I got ready and went to work. My husband followed me there in his new, used car to take a picture of me. My mom has instructed him to do this on the first day of every school year. Then, I made photocopies of the things that I had printed the night before. I finished moving a few things around in my room and wrote the day's objectives and homework on the board, and then the bell rang.

I had ten extra students show up to my first and second period block. There names were not on my current attendance list, but all of their printed schedules showed that class, Mrs. B, Rm. 41. So, I let them stay and sent off a quick email to the office. I know they were super busy all day, and I didn't expect an answer right away, but no one gave me an answer until 6th period. If they show up again tomorrow, I am to send all of them to the attendance office.

My clock is off by five minutes, which caught me off guard at the end of the first period. And I still am not used to these ninety minute classes. But other than that, my classes went pretty well. A few students were a little chatty, and a couple of others had to be continually prompted to get through the activity. Compared to the students I had last year, these kids are angels. I just hope that it's not just because it's the first day. I expect that as the days roll on, they will become a little more talkative and perhaps get some more attitude as they get tired of me. But if my classes go anything close to as well as today, this year will be ten times better than last.

No comments: