Sunday, August 3, 2008

Setting Up a New Classroom is Hard Enough

I am surprised at how lazy the teachers around here are when it comes to cleaning up after themselves. I am starting at a new school. So I am in the process of moving into a new classroom. The teacher that was using this room last year (Mr. E) is now in a small office. He asked the janitors to move some of his things into the office for him, then took off for summer. The janitors moved what they could, but the office is too small for everything. So, there is still a large cabinet in the middle of my room. The janitors are waiting for Mr. E to tell them what to do with it, but he hasn't been back or called at all over the summer. So, it looks like I'm going to have to wait until the week that school starts to find out if the cabinet is going to stay in my room or not. It is also full of junk, so I do not know if I can use the cabinet or not even if it does stay.

Another teacher was using my room this summer for summer school. I didn't even know the room was being used for summer school until I got in there and found all of his or her crap still sitting on one of the desks. There were workbooks, papers, pencils, a roll sheet and an empty Dr. Pepper can and coffee cup. At first I thought that maybe summer school had just ended a few days earlier. But a week later, the crap was all still there, untouched. I wanted to move the desk, so I just stacked up all the stuff in a corner. If no one comes to claim it within the first week of school I think I will throw it all away. Except, I will keep all the pencils.

I am not known to be a neat and tidy person, but I try to clean up after myself, especially where other people might see my mess. I also try to take care of my things. Last year, I ended up going through so many pens and pencils, having to continually buy more, that they are now very precious to me. I would not be leaving any of mine just sitting around where someone could take them. I hope that these two teachers are the exception and not the rule. But if teachers in general are this lazy and inconsiderate when summer rolls around, then I will work to be the exception.

No comments: