Thursday, June 25, 2009

Checking Out

Many non-teachers, including myself until last year, probably do not know what teachers do on the last day of school. It's nothing exciting, but I am here not just to entertain, but to educate. So, allow me to give you the inside scoop.

Let me start by saying that, obviously, I do not know what every school everywhere is like. I have worked in two schools, so I will assume that what is true of those two schools is true of most schools. If I'm wrong... well I'm not that concerned.

On the last day of school, each teacher is given a checklist of items that need to be completed. The list includes such things as turning in hard copies of grades and attendance, cleaning the classroom and inventorying computers and other "technology" in the classroom. After each item is completed, a specfic person (e.g. principal, custodian, counselor) will intitial the page.

Most of the items can be done or begun in advance and do not take that much time to complete. The more frustrating part is getting the required personnel to initial. They are often unwilling to check anything off before the designated time, even though there are twenty-plus teachers who need their attention. Then they become difficult to track down. If the head custodian needs to check rooms for cleanliness, he could be in any classroom. And if he comes by five minutes before I'm ready, he won't wait, and he may not be back for an hour.

Maybe it's not that bad, but it seems like an interminable waste of time, because it's the last day, and, just like the students, teachers can hardly wait for summer vacation to begin.

2 comments:

Badass Geek said...

Having to wait to leave school on the last day? That would be like being forced to watch everyone open their Christmas presents, but not being able to open your own.

Brittany Ann said...

Just found your blog. Love what I've read. And as a fellow teacher, I totally relate to this!